In my “What We Ate” posts each week I’ll share some of the recipes we ate for dinner the previous week. I love to get inspiration from what other families are eating so I thought it might be helpful to some of you. Please leave a comment if you have questions about any of these recipes. And if you know of a recipe that you think we might like please share it with me!
***Small Group Picnic
Forgot a picture! Sorry!
- We had a picnic fellowship with our small group from church. I brought a salad for me, sandwich for my husband, and homemade lunchables for the kids. We also had carrots and strawberries. I also brought some Mom’s Best Cheerios, pistachios, and apples because I knew the kids would want more after running around. Sure enough, they ate it all!
- I made this salad again this week because I just love it. Plus, there is another recipe I wanted to make later in the week that involves bacon so I knew it was a good time to make it. When possible, I try to keep bacon as an addition to a healthy dish rather than just stand alone. Bacon adds so much flavor to salads and veggies!
- I had the salad and some fruit and my husband had the salad, fruit, and celery with peanut butter. The kids had hummus and crackers, fruit, peanut butter with celery and a small salad. I gave them each a 1/2 piece of bacon. I saved the other half for them if they ate some of their salad. This is how I motivate them! Bacon would motivate me too. 🙂 They both ate about 1/2 their salad and I was happy with that.
***Tuna salad with crackers and veggies
- The boys had a birthday party to go to and my husband volunteered to take them. So they all had pizza and cake.
- I made tuna salad with tuna, a little bit of mayo, dill, green onions, onion and garlic powder, Dijon, and a few toasted pecans. I used multigrain crackers, carrots, celery, and red pepper for dipping. It was so good! I ate half of the tuna with this meal and saved the other half for lunch the next day.
***Baked Sweet Potato With Brown Butter, Bacon, and Herbs from Wicked Spatula
- I’ve been eying this recipe for a while and since I used bacon in the salad the other night I decided to use the rest for this recipe. I also have plenty of herbs growing outside so this was super easy. I decreased the butter in half and it was still really very good. The browned butter + the fresh herbs + spices + bacon made for an interesting flavor. Since our sweet potatoes were really big I made this as our main dish. I think I’ll make it again but probably use smaller potatoes and serve it as a side dish. It was really filling.
- We had steamed broccoli and fruit on the side. The kids don’t love sweet potato so I added peanut butter and celery and ham roll ups to their plates as well. But we did ask that they at least try the sweet potato and they did each try a little.
***Mexican Chopped Salad With Shrimp and Honey Lime Dressing
- My husband was out of town with the kids so I took advantage of this and made something he doesn’t really like – shrimp. I decided to make a Mexican chopped salad and top it with the shrimp and some honey lime dressing. It was SO good. I made enough for lunch and dinner. I’m working on writing this recipe up for a guest post on My Real Food Family. I’ll be sure to share it when it’s posted because this was delicious.
***Quinoa with Pesto and Broccoli
- Night two of no kids and husband. I took it easy and cooked some quinoa. I mixed in some pesto, broccoli and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. It was delicious, nutritious, very filling, and super easy. My kind of meal!
***Veggie Patty, Broccoli, and Peanut Butter Celery
- Last night with no kids or husband home! I made a veggie patty, steamed some broccoli and had peanut butter and celery. Another easy, delicious and nutritious meal.