In my “What We Ate” posts each week I’ll share some of the recipes we ate for dinner the previous week. I love to get inspiration from what other families are eating so I thought it might be helpful to some of you. Please leave a comment if you have questions about any of these recipes. And if you know of a recipe that you think we might like please share it with me!
We’re going to be traveling the rest of the week and into next week so I’m going to go ahead and share what we’ve eaten so far this week and then I’ll do a vacation “what we ate” post when we return.
***Leftover Southwest Quina Bowls and Broccoli
- We had what was left of the quinoa bowls from the night before. I also steamed some broccoli.
- The kids had some leftover macaroni and cheese from lunch with theirs.
***Sausage and Sweet Potato Hash with Cabbage, Peppers, and Onions
- This was a combination of two recipe I saved to Pinterest. It’s basically sausage and sweet potato hash. We had fruit as well.
- I also gave each of the boys a 1/2 grilled cheese. Since this is a dish that is all mixed up I knew it probably wouldn’t be their favorite so I wanted to have something on their plate to go with it. They both had several bites without complaining. I was pleased with that.
- Here’s how I made it:
- I added some olive oil to my cast iron skillet and sautéed the sweet potato cubes for about 10-12 minutes.
- In a separate pan I cooked the breakfast sausage and then put it on a paper towel lined plate. In that same pan I sautéed the onion and green pepper for about 5 minutes. Then I added in the sweet potato, cooked sausage and cabbage and sautéed for another 3-5 minutes.
- I added salt and pepper and done! It was delicious.
- Next time I will add mushrooms!
- We had the leftover sweet potato hash with green beans and fruit on the side.
***Tuscan Chicken Soup (from the freezer)
- Swimming lessons were tonight so I needed a quick and easy dinner. I pulled this soup from the freezer.
- We had pears and crackers with the soup.
***Operation Clean Out The Fridge
- Since we were about to leave town I decided to make dinner an opportunity to not let any of our food go to waste.
- My husband had a salad, peanut butter on celery, fruit, broccoli and leftover green beans. I had a salad with a quinoa patty on top and some broccoli. The boys had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peppers, carrots, watermelon, and broccoli. After all that they finished off the yogurt that we had in the fridge.