If you’ve been following my recipes you might notice a trend…we like cinnamon and maple syrup, a lot. That combination is great in granola, oatmeal, desserts, yogurt, and on sweet potatoes. Today I’m sharing one of our favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes with our meals. You simply bake the potato and top it with a little butter and maple syrup and then sprinkle on cinnamon and salt. Easy peasy!
Sweet potatoes are good for you, delicious and filling. They are high in fiber, vitamin C, beta-carotene and potassium. And an average size sweet potato is only about 100 calories! Because sweet potatoes are already sweet I just add 1 tsp of maple syrup for the whole potato. But you could definitely leave it off and just add butter, cinnamon and salt.
I medium sweet potato
½ – ¾ T butter, melted
1 tsp maple syrup
cinnamon, for sprinkling on top
salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Punch holes throughout the potato and loosely wrap potato in foil.
3. Cook at 400º for one hour and 15 minutes, or until the potato is soft throughout.
4. Melt butter and add maple syrup.
5. Drizzle butter and syrup mixture over potato and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt.
6. Scoop sweet potato out onto plates. Sprinkle with more cinnamon if desired. Or you can keep the sweet potato in the skins and eat the skins as well for added fiber and nutrients.
Serves 2 – 3
***You should definitely consider baking an extra sweet potato to make these muffins in the morning. I always do!