My husband and kids were out of town for a few days last week so naturally I needed to make myself some sort of treat to enjoy all to myself. I normally have to sneak my little treats if I don’t want to share but when they are gone I get to eat them out in the open with no one stealing bites. 🙂 I pretty much never make a treat that doesn’t involve dark chocolate and something crunchy. Usually it’s nuts but this time I decided to use granola. I’ve dropped some chocolate chips into my granola before so I knew it would make a good combination. I also added in a little coconut because coconut added to melted chocolate always tastes great!
These make a great “healthier” dessert or sweet snack. I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, homemade granola, and Sprouts unsweetened shredded coconut. If you don’t have granola I think crispy rice cereal would make a great substitution. Actually, I know it would because I’ve made similar recipes in the past. I say “healthier” because they are healthier compared to a bag of M&M’s but that doesn’t mean you can eat cup after cup with no consequences. Even with homemade treats like this I have to exercise a lot of self control because they are still high in calories and fat! But you won’t find the excessive amounts of sugar, artificial colors, and high fructose corn syrup that are in most store bought goodies.
I made mine in a regular size muffin pan using these silicone baking cups. But you could also make them in a mini muffin pan. Just make sure to use some sort of muffin liners either way. The granola cups come out of the liners very easily but I don’t think it would be as easy to get them directly out of the pan.
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup granola
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- regular or mini muffin pan and liners
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on a low setting (50%), pulling it out to stir every 30 seconds or so. You don't want to overcook it.
- Once melted, stir in the granola and coconut.
- Scoop 2 T in each regular sized muffin cup or 1 T in each mini muffin cup.
- Place your muffin tray in the refrigerator to allow the cups to harden.
- Once hard, put the granola cups in a bag or container. They can be stored in the fridge for about two weeks (if they last that long)!
Real Food Tips:
- Making your own homemade granola is easy and you’ll avoid the extra sugar and unhealthy oils often found in store bought granola. Though I’m sure if you looked through the store bought varieties carefully you could find a good compromise.
- The darker the chocolate you use the less sugar you’ll be consuming. I used Ghirardelli 60% dark chocolate chips in this recipe. But I often use chopped up chocolate bars that are 70-72% dark chocolate.
What’s your favorite sweet treat made with dark chocolate?