Follow this simple method for making delicious buttery brown rice in the Instant Pot.
I absolutely adore brown rice but it can be tricky to make, often turning out too dry or with excess liquid in the pot. So I recently decided it was time to figure out the best method for making it in the Instant Pot. I’ve made it several different ways and finally settled on this method as my favorite. It makes the perfect buttery rice that’s ready to eat straight from the pot. No need to add salt or butter because it’s already in the mix.
All you need to do to make this rice is sauté the rice in the melted butter for about 30 seconds. Then pour in the water and salt and pressure cook for about 22 minutes. Let it naturally release for 5-10 minutes and it’s ready to eat. I did a little research and found out that you need to add in a couple of extra minutes of cooking time for higher elevations. Mine cooked perfectly at 22 minutes here in Texas.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it makes quite a bit so I usually have some leftover rice to freeze for the future. One of the best lessons I’ve learned as a cook is to start working smarter not harder. Whenever I can I make extras to freeze. Then when I need rice I can just pull a bag out of the freezer.
I love brown rice with a bunch of roasted veggies, as a side to meat dishes, or in a stir-fry. Here are a few of my favorite recipes to serve or make with brown rice:
Freezer Friendly Taco Skillet (I would omit the butter when making the rice for this recipe.)
- 1 T butter
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2½ cups water (or a little less, see notes)
- ¾ tsp salt
- Use the sauté setting to heat the butter for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add water and salt. Use the manual setting to cook for 22-24 minutes (22 for low elevations, 24 for higher), then allow the pressure to release naturally by pressing cancel and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. Release the pressure valve.
- Open the Instant Pot and fluff rice with a fork.
- Leftovers freeze well for later use.