School is back in session and you may be in need of some easy weeknight meals. I’ve got one to please the whole family. This recipe is similar to the popular “taco soup” recipe that we’ve all made. But instead of a ranch and taco seasoning packet, we’ll just add in a few spices to give it some chili flavor. Keeping it simple here, folks. Just sauté a few veggies, along with some meat, and then add in the spices, several cans of beans, tomatoes, and broth and you are good to go!
This recipe is written using the Instant Pot but it can easily be made in the crockpot. See the notes in the recipe below.
I got my Instant Pot last Christmas and have really enjoyed using it. I’ve made soups, beans, chicken dishes, hard boiled eggs, and a few other things. I have to admit that it has taken some time to learn how to use it but I think I’m getting the hang of it.
We enjoyed our “chili” with avocado, cheese (cheddar and Cotija), cilantro, and of course some corn chips. I really love the Food Should Taste Good brand.
- 1 T oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (I used ½ and ½)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn (if using canned corn, drain first)
- 2 cans beans (I used pinto and black)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes or Rotel
- 1½ cups chicken or beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and corn chips
- Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté function. Add the oil and sauté the onion, peppers and garlic for a couple of minutes, until softened. Add in the meat and sauté until cooked through.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and press the soup function. Change the time to 5 minutes.
- Once the five minutes is up press cancel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure and let the steam vent.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more if needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Do you have an Instant Pot? What’s your favorite meal to make in it?