We love granola bars at our house. I have about 10 recipes pinned on Pinterest right now. The problem is that each recipe has something in it I don’t like or it’s missing something that we love in our granola bars. And many of them have honey and brown sugar. So I’ve combined several recipes into one I am happy with. The kids approved too!
1/2 cup honey (best if you can find raw honey)
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups crispy rice cereal (I used Barbara’s Organic Brown Rice Crisps)
1/2 cup nuts or seeds (I used sunflower seeds and toasted sliced almonds)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks (I chopped up a 65% dark chocolate bar)
1. Melt the honey, coconut oil, and peanut butter over medium-low heat in a small saucepan. Stir occasionally.
2. While that is melting, mix together the oats, rice cereal, nuts or seeds, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Once the liquids are melted turn off the heat and add the vanilla. Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients. Mix together well. Since it will be hot, wait 5-7 minutes before adding in the chocolate chips so they don’t melt.
4. Pour the mixture into a 9X13 pan lined with parchment or wax paper and press down very firmly with a piece of wax paper. The better you pack it down the better they will hold together.
5. Put in the fridge to chill for an hour.
6. Once hardened, you can cut them into bars the size of your choice. I cut 18 bars.
7. You can leave them in the fridge or wrap them in plastic wrap or wax paper and store in an airtight container for about a week. You can also freeze these for up to a month. I think they taste best straight out of the fridge or freezer. (They also hold together best when cold.)