This savory salad is perfect for a light dinner or served as a hearty side dish. Made with roasted sweet potatoes, bacon, pecans, and feta cheese, it’s sure to please even your biggest salad avoiders!
I shared this salad on Facebook a while ago and decided I needed to write it up so I don’t forget how to make it!
This roasted sweet potato salad is the perfect cure for the winter blues. It’s hearty and full of so many of my favorite foods. You start by roasting sweet potato cubes in olive oil and salt and pepper. While those are roasting you fry up a few pieces of bacon. The grease from the bacon becomes the base for this salad’s delicious and savory dressing. If you aren’t a fan of vinegar you’ll be happy to know that I use lemon in place of it. You’ll top your favorite salad greens with feta cheese, toasted pecans, the roasted sweet potatoes, bacon, and dressing. I didn’t include it in the recipe but my husband threw a few dried cranberries on top of his and he said it was tasty!
We had this salad as our meal but if you have a big eater in your house you could add a chicken breast or bowl of soup on the side. It would also be great with a scoop of cooked quinoa or rice!
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 2 T lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- ⅓ cup pecans
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 5-6 cups mixed greens
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon of the oil and salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees, stirring once.
- Cook bacon and reserve 1 T of the bacon grease. Move cooked bacon to a paper towel and dump the rest of the grease. Add the lemon juice, the rest of the olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, and the 1 T of reserved bacon grease back to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a whisk and transfer to a small bowl or jar.
- Toast the pecans under the broiler for 2-4 minutes in the oven.
- Put 2-3 cups mixed greens in each bowl. Toss each bowl with ½ the toasted pecans, 1 oz feta, 1½ pieces of bacon, and ½ of the roasted sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
If you make this salad, I’d love to hear what you think.