If you haven’t tried zucchini noodles yet you really need to. They are a great alternative to regular noodles. Using zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) instead of pasta allows you to add another veggie to your meal and skip out on the added calories and carbs. Don’t get me wrong, we love pasta too. But sometimes I want a lighter option. I’ve tried spaghetti squash and we just don’t love it the way other people do. But we do really enjoy zucchini noodles.
Now, I’m not going to lie and tell you they taste like pasta. They don’t. But they are still delicious and we love them topped with the same things you would top regular pasta with. They can be topped with parmesan cheese, pesto, bolognese sauce, spaghetti sauce, and/or meatballs. Our favorite topping for zoodles is this meatball recipe with red sauce. Add a little parmesan cheese and fresh basil and you have a complete meal.
- 2-3 medium zucchini, spiralized or cut into thin strips
- 1 T olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil, onions, and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini and salt and pepper.
- Cook about 1 minute. Stir well and cook another 1 - 1 ½ minutes, or until the veggies are cooked through, yet still firm.
- Place noodles in bowls and top with sauce of your choice.
1. The easiest way to spiralize zucchini is with a spiralizer. I use this one. You can also find them at Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can make long thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste.