6 Tips

One holiday down, lots more to go!  Just because it’s the holiday season doesn’t mean your healthy habits have to be completely thrown out the window.  You can still enjoy all that this time of year has to offer without compromising your health.  Here are a few tips to help you.

1. Try to practice balance as much as possible when it comes to eating during the holiday season.  Balance out the more indulgent meals with lots of salads, fruits, veggies, lean meats, healthy fats and whole grains.    Fill up with nourishing foods when possible so you feel well throughout the winter.  Don’t use the holidays as an excuse to completely let go of your healthy habits.

Continue reading

My birthday was last week and it really got me to thinking about what I wish I were able to tell my younger self.  I am one year away from 40 and thankfully I don’t feel like it at all.  I definitely feel and look better than I did in my 20s.  I try not to focus on the past but if I were able to share these tips with my 20 year old self I know I would have felt so much better, had more confidence and probably enjoyed life a little more.

Five Things I Wish I Could Tell

If I could go back in time, this is what I’d tell myself:

Continue reading

Today I’m sharing five ways you can improve your health.   I shared the first five tips here.  Again, these are based on my learning and personal experience.  The specific suggestions work for me and my family but they may not work for you.  However, the general ideas are good for anybody.

6.  Increase your activity level (if you are not already living an active lifestyle.)  You don’t have to belong to a gym to be active.  Just get moving!  You can take walks in your neighborhood, ride bikes with your kids, go for hikes, play sports, garden, or do exercise videos at home.  With Pinterest, YouTube and other sites out there you can do just about anything from the comfort of your own home.  I do go to the gym, but it’s not always possible with the kids so I workout at home too, when time permits. I have a yoga mat, large exercise ball, and several different sized hand weights.  A great site for exercise videos that I use is pop sugar.  I pin a lot of their videos on Pinterest and do them at home with hand weights.  I also do PiYo videos at home.

exercising at home

Continue reading

ten ways you can improve your health

Today I’m sharing five things you can do to improve your health.  These ideas are based on the reading I’ve done and changes we’ve made over the last 3½ years.  (I’ll share five more tips in part two.)  These are not all or nothing.  Small changes do add up over time.  I try to follow these tips 80% of the time and I don’t stress too much about the other 20%.  If you have a lot of changes you want or need to make just start small.  Once those habits feel normal then try to increase your healthy choices.  Little by little you can get to a place of better health.  Many of these changes took me a year or more to make.

Continue reading