In my “What We Ate” posts each week I’ll share some of the recipes we ate for dinner the previous week. I love to get inspiration from what other families are eating so I thought it might be helpful to some of you. Please leave a comment if you have questions about any of these recipes. And if you know of a recipe that you think we might like please share it with me!
*** Leftover Pizza
- We ate leftover pizza from the party the night before.
- I have been seeing lots of pictures of chopped salad on Pinterest so I decided to come up with my own. Since I had leftover bacon I started from there and came up with a list of toppings that we all like.
- The kids mostly just ate the toppings. I made extra of everything so they would have plenty to eat. They also had some peanut butter and celery.
*** Leftover Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili from the freezer
- We had a busy night with soccer practice and a school program so my stocked freezer came to the rescue. It was delicious as always. I served it with organic corn chips, cheese, green onions, avocado and cilantro.
***Asian Broccoli Salad from Gimme Some Oven
- This recipe caught my eye the other day on Pinterest. I had several of the ingredients on hand and the others were on sale this week so it was the perfect time to make it. I was so excited to try it out.
- Unfortunately, my husband didn’t really like it and the kids definitely didn’t like it. I thought it was good but not great. But I will say that it was filling. I served it over a bed of rice.
- I think the problem was that I had in mind more of a stir fry taste. It was definitely not that. The recipe clearly says it’s a salad so I’m not sure why I thought it would taste like a stir fry. It had a very strong peanut butter taste and the sauce was very thick in the broccoli. The peanuts and edamame were really yummy though.
***Taco/Taco Salad Night
- After last night’s fail I decided to go with something everybody loves…TACOS!
- I had taco meat in the freezer and black beans leftover from the Rainbow Salad.
- I serve our tacos with cut up romaine lettuce, tomato, avocado, green onions, cilantro and shredded cheese.
- All three boys like to eat theirs as tacos and I prefer taco salad (easier to get more veggies that way!)
- I did something different for the kids today. They usually pull off the lettuce and other veggies I put on top of their tacos. So today I put the lettuce, avocado, tomato and cilantro at the bottom of the taco, then the meat and beans and then the cheese. They happily ate it that way and my 6 year old even asked me to make his that way next time.
***Pesto Pasta with Broccoli and Chicken
- I pruned my basil plants and made some homemade pesto so I decided to try this pasta recipe again.
- It’s basically whole wheat pasta, cooked chicken and broccoli in a pesto sauce. Everybody loved it and my 6 year old easily ate twice as much as me. He likes his food separate so I separated the chicken, broccoli and pasta and he happily ate each part. The rest of us ate it as one dish.
***Easy Sautéed Chicken, Brown Rice and Salad
- I opened up a package of organic chicken breasts from Costco for last night’s meal so I decided to sauté the other one tonight. I sautéed it with onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper and some fresh herbs in a little olive oil and butter.
- I served it with brown rice and a quick salad.