In my “What We Ate” posts each week I’ll share some of the recipes we ate for dinner the previous week. I love to get inspiration from what other families are eating so I thought it might be helpful to some of you. Please leave a comment if you have questions about any of these recipes. And if you know of a recipe that you think we might like please share it with me!
We had a lot of leftovers this week and some totally random meals. I know most people eat leftovers for lunches (and we do sometimes too) but we usually have salads for lunch so leftovers end up being dinners for us.
***Leftover Pizza and Snacks
- We had a few pieces of leftover pizza from my birthday dinner so we ate those and then we had some of the snacks leftover from Thursday night: hummus and veggies and strawberries.
***Leftover Crockpot Fiesta Chicken
- We ate some of the leftover chicken from Saturday. The kids had theirs in hard taco shells and my husband ate his in tortillas. For me, I baked a small sweet potato and scooped out the insides. I added 2 tsp of greek yogurt and a little salt and pepper. Then I topped it with the fiesta chicken, avocado, cilantro and a little cheese. It was really pretty good!
- We had strawberries and watermelon on the side.
***Operation Clean Out the Fridge
- I can’t stand to waste food. It pains me to throw food out so sometimes when I feel like we have a bunch of random food in the fridge that is about to go bad I just set it all out and we have a totally random dinner to clean out the fridge. That happened tonight.
- My husband had sweet potato, black beans, some pistachios, fruit and chips and salsa. The boys had a corn tortilla with melted cheese, veggies and crackers for hummus and fruit. I had some leftover bean dip (from today’s luncheon) on a bed of lettuce with some chips.
***Maple Soy Glazed Salmon from Cooking Classy
- I really liked this salmon recipe. It was a little sweet and not too fishy. My husband is not a huge fan of fish so no surprise that he didn’t love it. The kids usually like fish but tonight neither one ate much. I think they just weren’t all that hungry.
- We had brown rice and steamed broccoli on the side.
- I ended up with a little leftover salmon that I had on my salad for lunch the next day. It was delicious.
- I had a little bit of my slow cooker turkey chili left in the freezer and figured since I had just a few chips left it would be a good night to eat it. (I bought the 3 lb. bag of organic chips from Costco and got a lot of miles out of them. They were used for ladies night out and small group at my house, a luncheon on Tuesday, and several dinners and lunches.) It wasn’t a ton of soup so I supplemented with chips, fruit and peanut butter celery. This picture is of my husband’s plate. I actually just had a little soup and a few chips. I snacked on a few too many of my peanut butter and chocolate chip fudge bites. Those little snacks are really filling! Be careful if you make them. 🙂
- My husband said again tonight how much he liked this chili. That says a lot coming from him because he’s not usually a huge soup or chili fan. It really is a delicious and lean chili that tastes great year round.
***Leftover One Pot Ziti from the freezer
- We had a make up swimming lesson so I needed a quick and easy meal. I pulled this ziti out of the freezer to thaw overnight. I added in the cheese and cooked it in the oven for about 30 mins. I sprinkled fresh basil on the top. We had a few pieces of broccoli left so we had those and some watermelon on the side.
***Leftover Pasta again
- I didn’t intend for us to have pasta again but we still had some of the One Pot Ziti left. We didn’t have enough for the whole family so I pulled out the leftover Creamy Cauliflower Sauce from the freezer and let it defrost. I boiled some noodles and mixed in the sauce. The kids ate the pasta with cauliflower sauce and the adults had the leftover ziti. Everyone was happy! Leftovers actually worked out because I ended up baking cookies for my nephew for a good portion of the day. I was happy to not have to cook dinner!
- We all had a spinach salad and fruit on the side